5 things we learned from the Ravens' win over the Jaguars
Fallston / Joppa
LIVE

Children evacuated safely as fire damages home in Joppa Thursday

Three building fires were reported Wednesday and Thursday in Harford County, the most recent in a home in Joppa where seven children were safely evacuated, fire officials said.

About 11 a.m. Thursday, Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company firefighters responded to a fire reported in a basement laundry room of a home in the 600 block of Winesap Court in Joppa.

There were five day care and two resident children inside the home, all of whom were evacuated safely, according to the fire company and a notice of investigation from the State Fire Marshal's Office.

The fire started in a plastic dryer vent and was quickly extinguished upon arrival, according to the fire company.

In all, about 35 firefighters responded from Joppa-Magnolia, Abingdon, Fallston, White Marsh and Kingsville volunteer fire companies and the Aberdeen Proving Ground Fire Department, according to the Fire Marshal's Office.

Fire investigators said damage to the home is estimated at $25,000. No injuries were reported.

The family, which also includes two teenage children, is being assisted by friends and relatives, according to the notice of investigation.

Business, hotel fires

An electrical malfunction caused smoke to pour from a control room at Harford Industrial Minerals, in the first block of Fort Hoyle Road, around 10 a.m. Wednesday, Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company firefighters reported.

Personnel investigated and Baltimore Gas & Electric was called to shut down power in the structure, after which the fire was extinguished, the fire company said in a news release.

The Candlewood Suites Hotel, in the 4200 block of Philadelphia Road in Riverside, sustained $50,000 in damage after a malfunctioning microwave oven in one of the rooms sparked a fire at about 11:44 p.m. Wednesday, according to a notice of investigation from the Office of the State Fire Marshal.

Fifteen firefighters from Abingdon, Aberdeen and Joppa-Magnolia fire companies responded to the fire, which was immediately extinguished by the hotel's sprinkler system, the Fire Marshal's Office said.

The hotel remained closed for "extensive clean-up," according to the notice of investigation.

No injuries were reported in connection with either of Wednesday fires.

Copyright © 2016, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
72°