Harford Christian wraps up stellar season with MACSAC title game win

The Harford Christian Eagles completed their finest boys soccer season in program history on Saturday, as they stormed to a 4-1 victory over Carroll Christian in the MACSAC Championship final at Arlington Baptist School in Baltimore.

With the victory, which earned Harford Christian its third straight MACSAC boys soccer title, the Eagles finished their 2013 campaign with a perfect 15-0 record. At one point during their championship run, the Eagles had taken 11 straight victories without allowing a goal. The 11-game shutout string was ended by Carroll Christian on Oct. 14, when the Eagles surrendered one goal in a 2-1 victory, which proved to be Carroll Christian’s only loss prior to Saturday’s game.

The MACSAC title contest saw Harford Christian strike first, with Ian Edwards notching a goal with an assist from Luke Fletcher. Later in the first half, Seth McCarty put the Eagles up, 2-0, by converting a penalty kick, and the score would remain there through the halftime whistle.

Mike Lavin netted a goal early in the second half with an assist from Tim Guertler, giving the Eagles a 3-0 edge, and Edwards wrapped up Harford Christian’s scoring shortly after, putting away a goal with an assist from McCarty.

Carroll Christian scored once, late in the second quarter, but that would be all it could muster in the way of goals.

Over their 15 victories this season, the Eagles outscored their opponents 87-5.

Harford Tech topped

The Harford Tech Cobras (7-6 overall, 5-2 Susquehanna) were topped, 1-0, by visiting Kenwood on Monday.

The halftime score was 0-0.

Cobra goalie Adam Bednarek had 14 saves.

Patriots win twice

The John Carroll Patriot (8-9-2 overall, 4-8-1 MIAA) completed a season sweep of rival Archbishop Curley on Saturday afternoon, knocking off the host-team Friars, 2-1.

John Carroll’s Guillermo Almirall scored the game’s first goal with an assist by Zach Hammons to put the visitors up, 1-0.

The Friars evened the game at 1-1 later in the opening half, and the score would stay there through the halftime intermission.

At the 23-minute mark of the second half, John Carroll’s Colby Fell scored the game-winning goal.
Brenden Hutton posted five saves in goal for the Patriots.

John Carroll blasted visiting North East on Friday, defeating the Indians, 8-0.

Aberdeen, HdG tie

The Susquehanna (lower) Division boys soccer champs from Aberdeen (7-3-1 overall 7-0 Susquehanna) held on to force a tie with the Chesapeake (upper) Division host Havre de Grace (5-5-2 overall, 1-4-1 Chesapeake) on Thursday night, as the two squads could not resolve a 1-1 deadlock through two sudden-death overtime periods.

Both teams scored once in the opening half, then were silent for the remainder of the contest.

Aberdeen’s goal came from Joe Nichols, who scored with an assist by Duane Keller.

Havre de Grace’s Kevin Vickery netted his team’s only goal.

Aberdeen’ goalie Owen Smith had four saves, while fellow keeper Matt Nengel had three saves.

In goal for Havre de Grace, Dominic Bolen racked up nine saves. 

North Harford defeated

The North Harford Hawks were topped, 2-1, by the Hereford Bulls in a Thursday road matchup.

The Hawks fell to 5-3-4 on the season with the loss.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad