Electrical malfunction likely cause of Anderson Hardware fire, investigators say

A fire last month that caused more than $1 million in damages to a Joppa hardware company was likely caused by an electrical malfunction, the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said Wednesday.

A team of deputy state fire marshals, along with agents from the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, have determined the most probable cause of the fire at Anderson's Hardware on the evening of June 18 to be a result of "an electrical fault or failure of enclosed wiring," the Fire Marshal's Office said in a news release.

"After an exhaustive examination of the structure, combined with witness interviews and reviews of evidence collected at the scene, investigators determined the fire originated between the ceiling over the first floor and the wooden floor of the second floor storage area," the news release states. The well-known business is in the 900 block of Pulaski Highway.

An estimated 80 emergency services personnel fought to control the blaze within four hours. Two firefighters from the Aberdeen Proving Ground Fire Department were treated and released from area hospitals after receiving injuries on the scene of the fire.

The Fire Marshal's Office's release notes the building was heavily damaged and the estimate of $1 million in damage is to the building and its contents.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad