Remembering Harford's military men and women who died serving their country since 9/11

Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, and the following wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, men and women across the country — and Harford County — have bravely sacrificed their lives to fight for the rights we as Americans have every day. Especially on the tenth anniversary of that tragic, we honor those we've lost.

Patrick Ryan Adle

Marine Lance Cpl. Patrick Ryan Adle, a 2001 Fallston High School graduate, was killed in southeastern Baghdad in June 2004. Lance Cpl. Adle was 21 when a roadside explosion struck the Humvee he was traveling in. The explosion killed the Harford native as well as two other Marines. He had volunteered for a second tour of duty in Iraq.

Seven friends along with Lance Cpl. Adle promised to join the Marine Corps after graduating from Fallston High. After his death, the group of friends and other people close to Lance Cpl. Adle established a scholarship in his name. The scholarship would give one Fallston High senior a year at least $1,000 to go toward tuition at Harford Community College.

Lance Cpl. Adle, who received a posthumous Purple Heart, was buried in Arlington National Cemetery in a section dedicated to recent casualties of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Dale Burger Jr.

In November 2004, Marine Lance Cpl. Dale Burger Jr., 21 of Bel Air, was killed in action in Iraq's Al Anbar Province.

Prior to his death, Lance Cpl. Burger, who attended Bel Air High School before enlisting, had his arm wounded by shrapnel. This could have potentially sent him home.Lance Cpl. Burger, however, was eventually sent back into battle and was killed the next day.

Lance Cpl. Burger joined the Marines, with his mother's signature, when he was 17-and-a-half, the youngest age allowed. He was assigned to 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Marine Corps Base Camp in Pendleton, Calif., and would have completed four years of military service in January 2005.

After his death, Legion Post 135 added Lance Cpl. Burger's name to a list of nine others who gave their lives in military service.

Jeffery Walker

Havre de Grace resident and Havre de Grace High School graduate Army Sgt. Jeffery Walker, 33, was killed in a helicopter crash killed in Fallujah, Iraq in January 2004 when a UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter he was aboard crashed while on a medical evacuation mission.

Sgt. Walker was assigned to Company C, 782nd Main Support Battalion, 82nd Airborne Division, which is based at Fort Bragg, N.C. He is believed to be the Harford County resident killed in the war in Iraq.

David Sean Roddy

Another former Harford County resident's life was taken in September 2006. Petty Officer 2nd Class David Sean Roddy, 32 and a graduate of Bel Air High School, died when a roadside bomb he was dismantling exploded. Petty Officer Roddy, who enlisted in the Navy in 1999, was assigned to Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit Two based in Norfolk, Va., and was serving with Multi-National Corps Iraq. His unit was conducting combat operations against enemy forces in the Al Anbar province when he was killed.

Neil Armstrong Prince

Sgt. 1st Class Neil Armstrong Prince, 35 of Forest Hill, joined the Army shortly after he graduated from City College in Baltimore in 1989. He did a tour of duty in the first Iraq war and wasn't supposed to go back.

In 2003, Sgt. 1st Class Prince and his family were stationed in Oklahoma before he was to transferred to South Korea. He was assured he would be staying there, even though personnel from South Korea were being transferred to Iraq at the time. It wasn't long before a soldier with more expertise was wounded in Iraq and replaced by Sgt. 1st Class Prince. He was killed in June 2005 in Iraq when a roadside bomb exploded near a Humvee he was traveling in.

Sgt. 1st Class Prince was set to rotate out of combat duty by August and then take a training position in Maryland or Pennsylvania or be stationed at Fort Hood, Texas. He was assigned to the Army's 2nd Battalion, 17th Field Artillery Regiment, 2nd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, out of Fort Carson, Colo.

Charles Barnett

Pvt. Charles Barnett, of Bel Air, was 19 when he was killed in Iraq in November 2008. According to a press release from the Defense Department, he died of injuries from a non-combat related incident in Tallil, Iraq. He was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 12th Cavalry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 1st Calvary Division at Fort Hood, Texas.

Military service ran in the family — Pvt. Barnett's grandfather was an Army staff sergeant, as was his father — and Pvt. Barnette decided to enlist in the Army when he was 18. He was deployed to Iraq in May 2008.

Pvt. Barnett attended Bel Air High School after his mother remarried and the family moved to Harford County.

William Alvin Allers

Staff Sgt. William Alvin Allers III, 28, of Leitchfield, Ky., was killed September 2005 near Khalis, Iraq, about 40 miles north of Baghdad. A roadside bomb went off near his convoy.

Stationed in Baghdad for the first part of his assignment, escorting convoys Staff Sgt. Allers was assigned to the 617th MP Company and then reassigned to Mosul.

Staff Sgt. Allers graduated from Fallston High School in 1995 and was a member of the school's track team and German Club. He worked for a factory producing high-grade office furniture after serving in the Army for eight years and joined the Kentucky National Guard in September 2003.

Jennifer Marie Parcell

Fallston High School lost another graduate when Marine Cpl. Jennifer Marie Parcell, 20, was killed by a suicide bomber in Iraq in February 2007. She was scheduled to leave Iraq March 1 of that year.

Cpl. Parcell's brother, Cpl. Joseph Parcell, is also a Marine. His time in Iraq was coming to an end when his sister began hers. They were able to be together for about a month overseas.

During her service, Cpl. Parcell received a Joint Service Achievement Award for helping with relief efforts in Pakistan, the National Defense Service Medal, the Global War on Terror Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terror Service Medal and the Humanitarian Service Medal.

Christopher O. Moudry

Staff Sgt. Christopher O. Moudry, 31 of Baltimore, was deployed to Iraq in December 2005 after being stationed in Fort Hood, Texas, and was supposed to return to the U.S. in November 2006. He was killed, along with three other soldiers, in Taji, Iraq, in October 2006 when enemy forces attacked his squadron.

Staff Sgt. Moudry's sister Sharon Roof is from Abingdon and his parents had moved to the same area a year before his death.

He enlisted in the Army in May 1995 and was assigned to the 7th Squadron, Cavalry 1st Brigade, 4th Infantry Division since August 2005.

Staff Sgt. Moudry was awarded the Army Service Ribbon, Army Achievement Medal, Army Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Overseas Service Ribbon, Driver and Mechanic Badge, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Korean Defense Service Medal, Noncommissioned Officer Professional Development Ribbon and the Basic Marksmanship Qualification Badge.

Jeremy Tinnel

Angel Tinnel turned 22 the same day her husband, Marine Lance Cpl. Jeremy Tinnel, of Mechanicsville, Va., was killed in July 2007. Tinnel, a Havre de Grace resident, and her husband were only married for six months when the boat carrying him and another Marine overturned in the Euphrates River, where they were on patrol.

In May that year, Lance Cpl. Tinnel was injured when an improvised explosive device was detonated near the Humvee he was in. His injuries were minor and he returned to duty.

Tinnel met her husband while visiting a mutual friend, a marine, while they were stationed at Camp Lejeune, N.C. She stayed in Maryland to complete her college education after they were married Dec. 23, 2006.

Maria I. Ortiz

Capt. Maria I. Ortiz, a former chief nurse of general medicine at Kirk U.S. Army Health Clinic at Aberdeen Proving Ground, was killed July 2007 during a mortar attack in Baghdad's Green Zone. She was head nurse for the 28th Combat Support Hospital in its Intermediate Care Ward.

Capt. Ortiz, who was 40, is the first female nurse killed in conflict from APG, according to the Department of Defense.

She served at Kirk Army Health Clinic for a year and a half, working as chief nurse of the General Medicine Clinic and was chief of plans, training, mobilization, security and education.

Capt. Ortiz was deployed to Iraq in September 2006 after serving 18 months at APG.

Ari Daniel Brown-Weeks

Ashley Brown-Weeks, of Abingdon, is another war widow. Her husband, Specialist Ari Daniel Brown-Weeks, 23, died in September 2007 in Iraq after the truck he was in rolled over.

Spc. Brown-Weeks was originally from New England, but moved to Abingdon a few months after meeting his future wife in August 2005.

After graduating from Airborne Jump School, Spc. Brown-Weeks returned to his home in Harford County in November 2006, and the two were married in December. It was only a month later that Spc. Brown-Weeks left for Iraq in January 2007.

Juanita Warman

Havre de Grace resident Lt. Col. Juanita Warman, 55, was one of the 13 people killed in the mass shooting at Fort Hood, Texas in November 2009.

She had moved to the city with her husband, Philip Warman, in 2005 and lived on the waterfront.

Lt. Col. Warman was a certified psychiatric nurse practitioner specializing in treating post-traumatic stress disorder and traumatic brain injury and spent more than 20 years in active duty and the Army reserves. She also volunteered for the Maryland National Guard's Beyond the Yellow Ribbon, a program designed to help soldiers readjust after returning from overseas deployments.

Lt. Col. Warman arrived at Fort Hood less than a day before the shootings and was preparing for deployment to Iraq.

For her service, Lt. Col. Warman received the Army Commendation Medal in 2006 for meritorious service as a psychiatric nurse deployed to Landstuhl Medical Center in Germany in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Roland M. Tressler Jr.

Roland M. Tressler Jr., a Fallston High School graduate, died in Baghdad, Iraq, in July 2009 during a training exercise accident while working for Blackwater Worldwide, which is now named Xe.

Mr. Tressler Jr., 29, joined the Marine Corps in January 1998, not long after graduating high school. He eventually became a sergeant.

He served for nearly six years in the Marine Corps before being discharged in September 2003. Afterward, he worked for DynCorp International, a U.S.-based private military contractor, as part of the president's personal security force. Mr. Tressler Jr. took a hiatus after DynCorp lost its contract. He later went to work for Blackwater.

Michael Wayne Heede Jr.

Originally from Delta, Pa., Sgt. Michael Wayne Heede Jr., 22, died in July 2009 while supporting combat operations in Helmand province in southern Afghanistan.

Sgt. Heede was a volunteer firefighter for a period of time for the Whiteford Volunteer Fire Company, and his mother lived in Edgewood at the time of his death.

Sgt. Heede was assigned to 1st Combat Engineer Battalion, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, in Camp Pendleton, Calif., and had been in Afghanistan since April of that year.

His was awarded with the Combat Action Ribbon, Navy Unit Commendation Medal, Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and two Sea Service Deployment ribbons.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad