And what, you might ask, kept your favorite football mind from nailing down his second straight week of perfect picks? Only a potential game-winning, overtime field goal being blocked. North Harford, the team I had picked to beat Loyola, had a shot at winning after regulation time ended with the two squads locked, 21-21, but the Hawks' try for three points was cruelly stopped by Loyola, which went on to hit its own game-winning field goal a few minutes later. A few inches left or right, and I'm looking at a perfect 15-0 record over a two-week span. As it is, I'm happy with a 7-1 record in week three. Here is what we've got going on in week-four action:
• Havre de Grace at Fallston. The Warriors are coming off back-to-back wins, but I don't think they'll be able to stop the Cougars' offense, which has posted 125 points in the first three games. The pick: Fallston wins, 38-21.
• Perryville at Patterson Mill. This battle of the undefeated squads could go a lot of different ways, but I like the Panthers. The pick: Perryville wins, 34-28.
• C. Milton Wright at Aberdeen. These two teams have been rolling offensively, with each scoring in excess of 40 points in all three regular-season games, but I'm going to back Aberdeen. The pick: Aberdeen wins, 40-35.
• Edgewood at North East. The pick: Edgewood wins, 28-14.
• Patapsco at Harford Tech. The pick: Patapsco wins, 24-16.
• Joppatowne at Rising Sun. The pick: Joppatowne wins, 21-20.
• Bel Air at North Harford. The pick: North Harford wins, 32-24.
Last week's record: 7-1
Shad's all-time record: 1,822-686, 72.6 percent.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun