By the time you read this, the elite young athletes that make up Harford County's football squads will be pacing around the locker room, strapping on their pads, and getting themselves psyched for the 2013 campaign. I, for one, could not be happier. Yes, the summer went quickly for your favorite pigskin prognosticator, but, as I've often said, June, July and August are just preludes to football season.
I think there's some sport involving bats that gets played during that time, but I forget what it's called. In any case, to catch you up really quickly, last season ended with a bad pick for me, as Perryvile, which I had pegged to win the 1A state title, lost to New Town in the semifinal, 28-27, and that was all she wrote. So, the only way to atone for that is to start this season with a perfect round of picks. Here's what we're looking for Friday night:
• Rising Sun at Perryville. Last year's 1A state semifinalist is going to walk all over Rising Sun. The pick: Perryville wins, 35-10.
• Aberdeen at Edgewood. This Route 40 matchup intrigues me, but I'm going with the Eagles to take it. The pick: Aberdeen wins, 27-20.
• Havre de Grace at Bo Manor. The poor Warriors, having to truck all the way to the eastern shore to play on Friday night. They'll have plenty of time to get their heads right on the bus ride: The pick: Havre de Grace wins, 21-20.
• Bel Air at North East. The pick: Bel Air wins, 34-14.
• Eastern Tech at Patterson Mill. The pick: Patterson Mill wins, 24-20.
• Perry Hall at North Harford. The pick: North Harford wins, 30-26.
• Joppatowne at Fallston. The pick: Fallston wins, 28-24.
• C. Milton Wright at Elkton. The pick: Elkton wins, 35-13.
• Tower Hill at Harford Tech. The pick: Tower Hill wins, 27-17.
Shad's all-time record: 1,801-683, 72.5 percent.
Shad's 2013 record: A clean slate.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun