BY BRYNA ZUMER, firstname.lastname@example.org
2:44 PM EDT, July 23, 2013
One man has died and another was hospitalized in serious condition after suspected heroin overdoses in Churchville over the weekend, the Harford County Sheriff's Office said.
It would appear heroin abuse is on the rise in the county, Sheriff's Office spokesman Edward Hopkins said.
"We are clearly seeing a resurgence of heroin and the expectation would be that what follows is the potential for overdoses," Hopkins said via e-mail Tuesday.
He added, however, that not every overdose is reported to police and not every overdose police respond to is heroin-related.
Maryland overall has seen a 15-percent rise in heroin overdoses between 2011 and 2012, according to a new Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene report cited by The Baltimore Sun.
A group of Harford residents urged the county to take more action against drug addiction after three young adults in Fallston and Bel Air died of heroin overdoses within two days in December 2011, two of them a couple who died together in a home north of Bel Air.
One of the two people who overdosed Saturday died.
At 4:29 p.m. Saturday, a 42-year-old man was found in deteriorating medical condition in a Dodge Durango in the 1200 block of Glenview Court, according to Hopkins.
Another man, age 58, was found in the living room of a nearby home on the same street, also in serious condition, Hopkins said. Monitored Harford County emergency radio broadcasts dispatched medical personnel and police to an overdose call involving "multiple patients."
The men did not live at that address but were friends of people who live there, Hopkins said.
Emergency medical personnel took both men to Harford Memorial Hospital in Havre de Grace, Hopkins said.
Hopkins said Tuesday that the 42-year-old, identified as Eric James Spry, of the 3000 block of Nova Scotia Road in Bel Air, has since died. He did not have any further information on the 58-year-old's condition or his name.
After interviews and a subsequent investigation, both men were suspected to have overdosed on heroin, Hopkins said.