More rain causes road closures, power outages in Harford Monday

More thunderstorms carrying torrential rain roared across Harford County Monday evening, closing at least one major highway because of high water concerns and prompting several fire calls for suspected lightning strikes.

Most of the action occurred between 5:30 and 8 p.m. Shortly before 6 p.m. the southern half of the county was placed under a tornado warning until 6:30 p.m. No funnel cloud sightings were reported, however, and the storms had passed by 9 p.m.

Power outages and a half a dozen road closures were reported around the county.

Baltimore Gas & Electric Company reported it had upward of 3,500 outages throughout the county during the storm, according to its website. Power was still out to 1,880 customers around 11 p.m.; however, all but 188 had been restored by 7:30 a.m. Tuesday. The majority of the remaining outages remained  in the Aberdeen and Edgewood areas, according to the BGE online outage map.

About 7 p.m., Harford County's emergency radio system broadcast a request that fire police close Route 1 in Fallston between Route 152 and Milton Avenue. Harford Fire Blog reported on its Facebook page that there was high water around the intersection of Whitaker Mill and Old Joppa Roads, east of the roadblock.

Both the duty officer at the Maryland State Police Bel Air Barrack, which is along Route 1 a mile east of the closure, and Robert Thomas, spokesman for the Harford County Department of Emergency Services, said the closure was a result of high water.

Shortly before 10 p.m., Thomas said the road was open at that location but motorists should use caution because of possible tree limbs and other debris that washed into the roadway.

Earlier there had been an emergency call broadcast for a water rescue in the vicinity of Route 1 and Old Joppa Road between Bel Air and Fallston; however, the Harford County Fire and EMS Association reported that the call was "unfounded" on its media Facebook Page.

Route 1 was also closed farther west between Reckord Road and Wilgus Road because of either high water or a tree down, Thomas said. He did not know if the road had reopened.

Thomas said a few other roads had to be closed either because of high water, wires down, trees down or a combination of the three. He said Wheel Road was closed between Glenangus and Cedar Lane because of a downed tree around 7 p.m., and Bush Chapel Road in the Aberdeen area was closed because of a downed tree.

The Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company reported on its Facebook page that it responded multiple fire calls as a result of the storms, including "several reports of dwellings struck by lightning but no serious damage."

Further information from the fire company was not immediately available.

Motor vehicle accidents were reported at Route 1 and Route 136 in Street and at Route 146 and Hess Road in Monkton.

The Aberdeen IronBirds game at Ripken Stadium was cancelled shortly after 9 p.m.

Check back with for updates.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad