On Saturday, Sept. 21, Churchville Presbyterian Church will be hosting its 275th anniversary. Festivities will begin at 1:45 p.m. with the pastor, Rev. Ron Martin-Minnich, arriving by horse and carriage. An honor guard presentation by the S.A.R. will open the day's celebration followed by a cemetery tour and patriot grave marking by the Daughters of 1812. A high tea luncheon and period fashion show (tickets required) will be from 4-5:50 p.m. Concluding the day's celebration at 6 p.m. will be a candlelight 18th century style sermon presented by Rev. Martin-Minnich.
Tickets for the high tea luncheon and period fashion show will be available to non-church members beginning on Aug. 31. Please contact Kim Little, 410-457-4088, for ticket information.
Churchville Presbyterian Church is at the corner of Routes 22 and 136 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The congregation was established in 1738 and originally met on at a site on Old Level Road. In 1739 the English evangelist, George Whitefield, passed through the region and preached in a tent on what is now the Harlan Farm. The Rev. William Finney was called to the pastorate in 1812 and was installed in 1813 where he remained until 1845, the longest serving pastor to date. Rev. Finney is well know for reviving the church congregation, which had until his day point become quite scattered. Today, Churchville Presbyterian is a thriving church with a strong membership, preschool and day care center.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun