A family of four was displaced and the preliminary cause of the fire was combustible materials being place too close to a pellet stove, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office.
The fire in the one and half story brick and wood frame home in the 1600 block of Redfield Road was reported shortly after 7:30 p.m., according to monitored Harford County emergency radio transmissions.
The home is the Greenridge community of Route 543 east of Bel Air.
A fire official was on the scene in minutes and reported "smoke showing," according to the emergency broadcasts. At the time, temperatures in Bel Air were 12-13 degrees.
According to posts on the Harford Fire and EMS Association's Facebook Page, a "working basement fire" breached the first floor of the residence. Two of the residents were at home when the fire broke out.
In addition to units from the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company and other companies, the Harford County Hazmat Team was dispatched to the scene to assist in the rehabilitation of fire personnel because of the extreme cold weather conditions, according to the Fire and EMS Association's initial post.
In a follow-up post around 10 p.m., the Fire and EMS Association said that the Fallston Volunteer Fire and Ambulance Co., Abingdon Fire Company and the Level Volunteer Fire Company assisted at the scene. Jarrettsville Volunteer Fire Company assisted in filling in Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company main station.
In a notice of investigation released Wednesday morning, the State Fire Marshal's Office said 30 firefighters were present on the scene, bringing the fire under control in about 45 minutes.
The home sustained $75,000 in structural damage, the Fire Marshal's Office. Damage to contents was estimated at $25,000.
Check back with http://www.exploreharford.com for updates.