Harford's new office building formally dedicated [50 years ago]

As taken from the pages of The Aegis dated Thursday, July 23, 1964:

Harford County's new office building in Bel Air was formally dedicated this week in 1964. The ceremony, which featured a historical address by C. Milton Wright, had an estimated 500 people in attendance. The ceremony began with a half-hour concert provided by the 327th U.S. Army Band from Edgewood Arsenal. Thomas J. Hatem served as master of ceremonies for the dedication and Rabbi Paul Kushner of the Harford Jewish Center gave the invocation. After Werner Buchal, mayor of Bel Air, gave a brief statement, Wright cut the ribbon to officially open the new building. Following the program the Ladies Auxiliary of the Bel Air Fire Department served refreshments in the building's lobby. A large number of county residents were then able to tour the interior of the building. A luncheon was later held at the Maryland Golf and County Clubs for all the dignitaries and their guests.

The death of a Havre de Grace youth and his girlfriend was ruled a murder suicide. The 37-year-old woman was found by police sitting in a chair of her second floor apartment where she had been fatally shot behind the right ear. The 20-year-old boy was lying on a nearby couch, dead of a self-inflicted bullet wound in the right temple A .22 caliber rifle was found lying near the body. Police said a suicide note was found lying on a table near the boy's body.

Three rather large farms were purchased in Harford County to make room for more housing development. All three were in the southern area of Harford County. Leon Panitz, developer of Joppatowne, purchased the Charles Frey farm on Bush River. The property had a mile of waterfront and 200 acres between Willoughby Beach Road and the river. A 130-acre farm in Edgewood was sold to a corporation. Another large farm in the Churchville area was also sold to a building contractor in that area.

The four millionth vehicle to use the Kennedy Memorial Highway was expected to cross the toll gates near Perryville this week 50 years ago. The highway was averaging 20,000 vehicles per day since its opening in November 1963.

A family reunion turned into a riot on Rockwell Street in Edgewood. One member had to be taken to Harford Memorial Hospital after relatives used a paring knife and a hammer to inflict wounds. The gentleman suffered from a two inch gash in his forehead, a deep cut in his arm and three minor cuts to his back and neck. Police found it difficult to learn the details of the fight which resulted in the arrests of the victim, the victim's father, two brothers and his sister-in-law. When the family group appeared before the magistrate, the family decided to drop all charges against each other. The magistrate ordered each of the five to pay the $4 court costs and lectured them on wasting time of both the police and the courts.

Several residents reported that their mailboxes had been blown up, apparently by large firecrackers. The Sheriff's Department was investigating.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad