Firefighters quickly controlled a grease fire in the restaurant area of Wegmans in Abingdon late Sunday evening. No injuries were reported. (Photo courtesy Harford Fire Blog on / May 20, 2013)

A fire was reported at the popular Wegmans grocery store in Abingdon late Sunday evening, causing a brief evacuation of the store by employees and customers.

No injuries were reported, and the store re-opened shortly after the fire was contained, a Wegmans spokesperson said.

The store also was open at its normal time on Monday, at 6 a.m.

The fire in the first block of Wegmans Boulevard, was reported between 6:45 and 7 p.m. Sunday, when firefighters responded for reports of smoke coming from the computer room, according to the Harford County Volunteer Fire and EMS Association Facebook page.

The same site later said a grease fire was found in the restaurant area.

Rich Gardiner, of the fire and EMS association, said the grease fire was quickly contained.

"Crews are checking for extension at this time. There are no injuries," he wrote.

The health department was called to inspect the building, which Gardiner said happens any time a fire department responds to "any type of food/restaurant establishments including grocery stores."

Companies from Abingdon, Bel Air and Joppa-Magnolia, responded to the fire.

"An employee reported a burning odor (in a computer room), which prompted a call to the Bel Air Fire Department and store evacuation," Jo Natale, director of media relations for Wegmans, said in a follow-up e-mail Monday morning.

"The source of the odor was never discovered, but in the meantime, a small grease fire had started in our wokery kitchen, the result of a wok left on a burner when employees evacuated the store," Natale explained. "Firefighters were able to put out the fire quickly, and they also contacted the health department and fire marshal for approvals to reopen, following clean-up."

The store was reopened between 9:15 and 10 p.m. Sunday, Natale said.