Two shootings in one week for Edgewood; boy, 15, charged with attempted murder

A 15-year-old Edgewood boy was charged with attempted murder in connection with Monday's shooting near the Edgewater Village Shopping Center and a second, unrelated, shooting was reported two days later just around the corner near the Edgewood Senior Center.

The boy, who lives about four miles away from the shooting site, was originally charged as an adult with attempted second-degree murder, as well as first-degree assault, reckless endangerment and firearms violations.

On Thursday, an assistant state's attorney announced he would no longer be charged as an adult.

The suspect allegedly shot another 15-year-old boy, whose abdomen was grazed by the bullet, Harford County Sheriff's Office spokesman Edward Hopkins said.

The victim, who had been walking in the 1800 block of Grempler Way, was treated at the scene by the Joppa Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company, but refused to be taken to the hospital, Hopkins said.

The suspect was arrested the next day at his home, where he was taken into custody without incident.

Harford County District Court Judge Mimi Cooper left his bail at $500,000 on Wednesday. His mother, stepfather and brother attended the bail review and public defender Bruce Andres told the court the suspect is attending the Arrow School and his parents would make sure he would not leave the house.

The attack was "completely unprovoked," an assistant state's attorney said, noting she was concerned for the neighborhood's safety.

Edgewood dealt with another shooting Wednesday, this one in the early morning just around the corner from Monday's incident.

At 12:40 a.m., deputies responded to reports of shots fired in the 1700 block of Gateway Road.

Two female victims said they were walking near the entrance to the Edgewood Senior Center when a suspect began yelling across the street at them and trying to start a conversation, Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Cristie Kahler said.

The suspect then pulled out a handgun and began shooting, she said.

No one was injured in the incident. The victims said they dropped to the ground until the suspect stopped shooting and ran toward Judy Way.

Investigators have a lead in the case, but no arrests were reported as of Thursday.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad