www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/harford/abingdon/ph-ag-abingdon-fire-0226-20130222,0,7874374.story

baltimoresun.com

Fire from fireplace ashes damages Abingdon home

AEGIS STAFF REPORT

3:40 PM EST, February 26, 2013

Advertisement

Firefighters were sent to put out a fire at an Abingdon home early Friday morning that investigators say was caused by a "misplacement of ashes from the fireplace," the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said.

The fire at the single family home in the 900 block of Harvey Lane was reported shortly after 12:30 a.m. by a neighbor, according to a notice of investigation from the Fire Marshal's Office.

The fire was brought under control in five minutes by 11 firefighters who responded from the Abingdon and Joppa-Magnolia volunteer fire companies, the Fire Marshal's Office said.

The area of origin was the exterior of the home, according to the Fire Marshal's Office. Damage to the home is estimated at $3,000.

The preliminary caused listed in the notice of investigation is "accidental – due to misplacement of ashes from the fireplace."