Apartment house fire in Havre de Grace injures three, displaces several residents

A fire in a Havre de Grace apartment house late Wednesday night injured three people and displaced at least seven residents of the dwelling, fire investigators said.

The cause of the fire, originated in a second floor apartment bedroom, has been determined as accidental – the result of a child playing with fire, according to the Office of the State Fire Marshal.

Scott Hurst, fire chief with the Susquehanna Hose Company of Havre de Grace, said two of the injured were treated at the scene, and the third, a child, was taken to Harford Memorial Hospital.

Hurst said the girl had "non-life-threatening injuries."

The people displaced are being assisted by the local chapters of the American Red Cross and the Salvation Army. Hurst said early Thursday that as many as 18 residents may have been displaced, although a follow-up notice of investigation from the Office of the State Fire Marshal said three adults and four children were displaced because of the fire.

Hurst said the fire call for the two-story, concrete block dwelling in the 500 block of Girard Street was received at 11:06 p.m., and Susquehanna Hose firefighters arrived at 11:09 p.m. The fire was brought under control in 20 minutes, he said

The Aberdeen Fire Department and Havre de Grace Ambulance Corps provided assistance. Hurst said about 70 personnel were on the scene.

The chief said the fire caused "extensive damage" to the structure. The Fire Marshal's Office said the fire caused an estimated $60,000 damage to the structure and $10,000 damage to contents.

The Fire Marshal's Office's notice of investigation also states that smoke detectors were present but did not operate. The building is owned by SJC, LLC, according to the report.

Check back with http://www.exploreharford.com for updates.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad