What families save to put into scrapbooks really tell stories about what was really happening long ago. Again, we return to R. L. Mitchell books donated to the Aberdeen Room Archives and Museum.

The war years did make some changes in the "Town" of Aberdeen. A clipping from 1943 reads, "Curfew urged at Aberdeen by Magistrate Delgar." The presence of servicemen seemed to be a problem.

Another clipping "Pay Day in Aberdeen" showed a photo of APG civilian workers on the steps of the First National bank of Aberdeen.

Other items are news clippings. "The T-12 Giant Landmark to be moved to new site in Headquarters expansion adjacent to the ordnance Museum." This 43,600-pounder would be moved to the old site of the railroad station at APG.

In 1946, clippings told of returning service men and women: "Lt. G.H. Baker return from China-Burma India Theatre," "Capt. Elwood Stark returns from Europe," "Lt. N. Paul Cronin returns from Navy-was in the Normandy invasion," "Genevieve Sutliffe in Korea with the Red Cross."

Another clipping told about the "Eniac and Dr. L.S. Dederick who heads the department that operates the Electronic Numerical Integrator and Computer at the Aberdeen Proving Ground Ballistic Research Laboratory."

From 1948, the famous "Doodlebug" appears in a photo. Many local residents rode that little train to work each day. We remember riding to work at the Ballistics Research Lab on those wooden seats — great free transportation.

Another clipping about APG in 1974: "APG Fate Rests on Three Choices-Ordnance to APG or Redstone or Both." Of course, we recall the ordnance stayed in APG back then.

Sometimes the saved items may be small books within the large scrapbook. From 1944 is a publication from Aberdeen Proving Ground: "War years at Aberdeen from 1941-1944." This book is now in the Museum Library.

Other books have now been added to the Library. The "Smithsonian" has named 100 artifacts that made America. These choices are from 137 million artifacts. The Eniac is one of those choices. Earlier in this column, we spoke of Dr. Dederick and the Eniac. The Smithsonian tells of the importance of the famous computer that was built at the Moore's School of Engineering at the University of Pennsylvania and brought to the Ballistic Research Lab soon after the end of World War II. This was donated by Museum Librarian Ed Illick.

Ed Illick also donated another book: "U.S. Government Printing Office Style Manual from 1973."

Adding to the Library are from the Cronin Estate, "The Face of Maryland, a book of photos by A. Audrey Bodine" and "Baltimore, a Portrait" by Robert Miller.