Congratulations to Matt Roath and all involved in the Autumnfest downtown Perryville this past weekend. Everything was terrific. We really enjoyed the beer garden that was hosted by Prost Restaurant. This event will continue to be a big tradition in Perryville.
A big shout out to Matt and his committee on a job well done.
Members of the Grand Family of 2012 – 2013 Order of the Eastern Star, Grand Chapter of Maryland, gathered at the home of Sister Jean Chance for their first picnic since the start of the new Grand Chapter year. Those in attendance were Junior Past Grand Matron Sister Debbie Hribar and her husband Grand Treasurer and Past Grand Patron Brother Kevin Hribar; Junior Past Grand Patron Brother David Hall and his wife Judy; Sister Claudia Eaton the currently Associate Grand Matron (who served as Grand Conductress during the Hribar – Hall administration); Sister Nancy Ford the current Grand Conductress (who served as Associate Grand Conductress during the Hribar-Hall administration); Sister Leslie Gilliam Past Grand Matron and Grand Trustee; Sister Joan Morris, Past Grand Matron and Grand Trustee and her traveling companion Sister Joy Lou Fogle; Sister Elaine Niemeyer, Grand Chaplain and her traveling companion and Mother Sister Chris Walz; Sister Jean Chance, Past Grand Matron and Grand Lecturer; Sister Judith Birckhead, Grand Marshal and her traveling companion husband Ernie Birckhead the 2013 – 2014 Grand Sentinel; Sister Donna Runyan, Grand Organist; Sister Beverly Geisler, Grand Ruth; Sister Beverly Southall, Grand Martha and her husband Brother Roger and her traveling companion Sister Louise Fagan; and Sister Loretta Donaldson, Grand Electa and her traveling companion Sister Linda Quillen the 2013 – 2014 Grand Martha; and Sister Donna Trott traveling companion of Sister Donna Almony.
Unable to attend but in everyone's prayers was Sister Toby Harvie, Grand Adah, who is taking it easy fighting with health issues. Also not with us due to other commitments were Sister Donna Almony, Grand Secretary; Sister Patti Snell, last year's Grand Treasurer; Brother Jon Thompson, Past Grand Patron and Grand Trustee; Sister Sharon Earl, Grand Esther; Sister Sheryl Peters, Grand Warder and Brother Cecil Jones, Grand Sentinel.
The Junior Past Grand Matron and Junior Past Grand Patron were presented with the special framed puzzles to commemorate their year. Sister Debbie's puzzle was tea cups and Brother David's were little Weiner dogs (Dachund) just like his Rudy.
Sister Debbie also brought along her picture collection which was on an electronic slide show. Almost 5,000 pictures were taken over her Grand Year. She also had five scrap books which had memorabilia from all the Grand Visitations during the year.
It was a great day and we are looking forward to future get-togethers.
Dates to remember:
• Mark your calendars to visit the Perryville Farmer's Market every Friday from 3 to 7 p.m. until Oct. 25 at Broad Street and Roundhouse Drive.
• St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Aberdeen will hold a holiday bazaar on Dec. 7 and vendors are needed. If you are interested in selling your crafts call Becky at the St. Paul's office at 410-272-3111.
•The Principio United Methodist Church (on Route 7 outside Perryville) is having a card party on Thursday Oct. 10 from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Lunch will be provided along with drawings for gifts. The cost is $10 per person. Please call Barbara at 410-642-3197 for more information and to reserve your table.
• All you can eat breakfast will be served on Saturday Oct. 12 at Harmony Masonic Lodge on Tome Highway from 7 to 10 a.m. Proceeds benefit a scholarship fund.
• On Friday, Oct. 11, is a bingo featuring baskets and handbags starting at 6 p.m. at American Legion - Bernard L. Tobin Post 128, 44 N. Parke St., Aberdeen. Tickets are $12 in advance or $15 at the door. Event benefits Aberdeen Lioness Lions in support of community service projects. Tickets available by calling Sandy Pierce at 443-876-4472 or Brenda Conjour at 410-273-7332. Bring a canned good and/or non-perishable for bonus prize ticket. Old, new, used prescription and non-prescription glasses and cases being collected; let others have sight.
• On Saturday, Oct. 12 is a Home Variety bingo starting at 6 p.m. at St. Paul's Lutheran Church Fellowship Hall, 201 Mt. Royal Avenue, Aberdeen. The event is sponsored by Ray of Hope Mission to benefit stroke victim Susan Nash. Tickets are $12 and can be reserved by calling Melissa Suprick ay 443-506-1466 or Brenda Conjour at 410-273-7332. Bring a canned good or non-perishable food item for a bonus prize ticket.
• Basket bingo is planned at 6 p.m. Friday Oct. 18 to benefit AMC of Harford County cancer fighting efforts at St. Paul's Lutheran Church Fellowship Hall, 201 Mt. Royal Avenue, Aberdeen Tickets are $12 and can be reserved by calling Deb Leadore at 410-272-6157 or Brenda Conjour at 410-273-7332. Bring a canned good or non-perishable food item for a bonus prize ticket.
• Basket bingo is planned at 6 p.m. Oct. 25 (a Friday) to benefit the Aberdeen Middle School library. The event is at the middle school on Mt. Royal Avenue. Tickets are $12 and can be reserved by calling Brenda Conjour at 410-273-7332. Bring a canned good or non-perishable food item for a bonus prize ticket.
• Hand crafted basket bingo is planned at noon Saturday Nov. 2 at St. Paul's Lutheran Church 201 Mount Royal Avenue in Aberdeen. Baskets crafted by the Deer Creek Basketry Guild. For tickets or more information call 410-734-7906 or email email@example.com.
Jean Chance is sent Oct. 9 birthday wishes from the Grand Family of 2012 -2013 Order of the Eastern Star.
Madge Jones is sent Oct. 7 birthday wishes from the Grand Family of 2012 -2013 Order of the Eastern Star.
Belated anniversary wishes go to Gordon and Beverly Tozer, who celebrated on Sept. 30.
Pam and Mike Kincaid will celebrate their wedding anniversary on Oct. 11.
Cindy and Paul Elder are sent anniversary wishes on their Oct. 5 anniversary.
Get well wishes and thinking of you wishes go to Debbie Raynovich, David Holley, Cal McMillion, Cheryl Simms, Gladys Watsic, David Holley, Mildred Martin, Cliff Voris, Eleanor Kight, Sharon Pryer, Ken McNeeley, Frankie Garland, Howard (Doc) Malin, Charles Schafer, Marianne Lilley, Dorothy Saunders, George Wilson, Mae Antonelli, Doris Hess, Meryl McLaughlin, Ralph Speakman, Betty McFadden, Betty and Jim Fayer, Bo Sinclair, Georgia Gransky, Helen Wood Bagley, Frances Riale, Marianne and Tom Pryer, June Peddicord, Dona and Andy Larkins, Bonnie Wagner, Ethel Dill, Pastor Henry Schaefer, Terry Thurman, Leslie Dissek, Stephen Pyle, Vicki Snyder, Jeannie Brison, Bobby Steward, Nancy Quinn, Adam Zeller, Sandy Brooks, Janet and Pastor Neale Wirtanen, Gisela Knapp, Kit Harris, Sharon Todd, Margaret Gosweiler, Wayne Erickson, Pauline Gosweiler, Ed Illick, Rosemary Ronning, June Gangel, Joe Pacifico, Dennis Bolen, Herb Southall, Mary Lou Southall, Bonnie Donoho, and Peggy Scholl, Ben Caldwell, Michael Caldwell, Glynnis Perry, Paul Newcomer, Ginger Eastridge, Roger Southall, Jeannie Bryson and Bonnie Plickta.
Thank you to all those who submit articles for the column. Keep those birthdays, anniversaries, special parties and celebrations, family functions, vacations and anything you want to see in print coming to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. And don't forget to mark the subject line "ARTICLE FOR THE RECORD."
Today accordingly to the Cecil County Almanac – Augustine Herman wrote his last will and testament this week in 1684.
Per the Cecil County Almanac, on Oct. 4 the Liberty Bell was viewed by 2,000 people at the Elkton Station in 1895.
On Oct. 3 Sputnik orbited Earth and the Space Era began in 1957.Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun