Rescue teams recover body of man missing in Bush River

Rescue teams have recovered the body of the man missing in the Bush River since Sunday evening.

The body of Kamhou Xairavong was found at 7:20 a.m. Tuesday in the area of 2021 Park Beach Drive in Perryman, close to where he originally went missing, Sgt. Brian Albert of Maryland Natural Resources Police, said.

"It was relatively close to the land," Albert said about the recovery. "We are suspecting that it's a drowning but his body has been sent to the medical examiner."

Xairavong, 35, of Edgewood, had been swimming without a life jacket with his friend when he went missing, Albert said shortly after noon Monday.

"They were just out for a ride in the boat. They had worked on [the boat], but they weren't having any problems. It was just they stopped during the heat of the day and went swimming to cool off," Albert said.

The second man, Sunny Singh, 34, of Essex, was safely out of the water when rescue personnel reached the scene, Albert said.

Xairavong did not appear to have any serious medical problems and was "a strong swimmer," Albert said.

Natural Resources Police had about a dozen rescuers on the scene, and the Harford County Sheriff's Office also had a dive unit, he said. Natural Resources Police took over the search Monday morning, after the initial search was called off late Sunday night.

Divers from the Susquehanna Hose Company swift water rescue team were also assisting in the search Monday, the fire company's chief said.

The incident occurred during a wave of thunderstorms that passed through the region; however, the weather is not believed to have had anything to do with Xairavong's disappearance, Albert said.

Some of the agencies initially involved in the search Sunday evening included Aberdeen Proving Ground Fire Department, Harford County Volunteer Fire and EMS Association's technical rescue team, the Coast Guard and helicopters from Maryland State Police, Dave Williams, of the Harford Fire and EMS Association, said.

Divers and boats from fire companies in Middle River and Kingsville also were on standby, Williams said Sunday. Searchers were delayed part of the time because of weather concerns, he said.

Sunday's search was called off for the night around 11:15 p.m.

Check back with for updates.

This story has been updated with a correction. The men did not get into the water because their boat capsized, as incorrectly reported in earlier versions of this story.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad