Quick action credited with saving life of man injured at Aberdeen warehouse Tuesday night

Aberdeen Police are crediting quick action by co-workers, police officers and the city's volunteer fire and EMS personnel for saving the life a worker injured Tuesday evening at an Aberdeen distribution facility.

A 20-year-old man was taken to a local hospital in grave condition Tuesday evening after an incident at about 6 p.m. at Pier One on Old Philadelphia Road in Aberdeen, Harford County fire officials said.

It was unclear how the incident occurred, but it was originally reported as an accident involving a piece of machinery, according to Rich Gardiner, spokesman for the Harford County Volunteer Fire and EMS Association. The accident may have been secondary, however, he said.

"Something occurred around equipment at the loading dock and he was pinned or injured," Aberdeen Police Cpl. Will Reibert said Wednesday, noting that the injured man's condition had since stabilized.

Reibert could not say any more on the exact injuries the man suffered, nor would he identify him by name.

The victim was found in grave condition by fellow employees on a loading dock, according to a news release sent by Reibert. First aid was initiated by a co-worker.

Harford Fire Blog on Facebook reported a "major trauma," a person struck by machinery with possible trauma arrest and later reported one person was transferred in cardiac arrest, and "unsure if it was trauma related or not."

"Police arrived and located the injured worker," the Aberdeen Police Department news release said. "Officers responded and took over rendering CPR duties to the victim. These efforts continued until the arrival of the Aberdeen Volunteer Fire Department medic unit. The victim was stabilized at the scene and transported to Upper Chesapeake Hospital where he remains in stable condition."

"The incident is being investigated as an industrial incident and any further inquiries should be directed to the Maryland Department of Labor (MOSHA)," according to the news release.

Maureen O'Connor, spokeswoman for the Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation, said she would look into the incident but said MOSHA would probably not be able to release any more details.

Reibert noted the immediate live-saving techniques delivered greatly helped the man's survival.

"It was definitely a group effort," he said.

Check back with http://www.exploreharford.com for updates.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad