Man charged with chasing pregnant girlfriend with electric cord

A Gwynn Oak man is being held on $15,000 bail after allegedly using a black electric cord to try to injure his pregnant girlfriend.

Nelson Finney III, 29, of the 2100 block of Thistleboom Road, was charged Sunday with possession of a dangerous weapon with intent to injure and reckless endangerment, after allegedly breaking into his girlfriend's home in Havre de Grace and chasing her with an electric cord, according to court documents.

According to court documents, police responded to a McDonald's in the 800 block of Pulaski Highway to speak with the victim, who said Finney threw her out of her apartment. Finney allegedly broke into the apartment, grabbed a black electric cord and started to chase her around, trying to hit her with it, according to charging documents.

The pregnant woman said she ran out of the apartment to the McDonald's seeking help, according to court records. She said she left her 6-year-old, Finney's child, who was in bed, home alone as she ran from the home.

The lock to the home was broken, according to court records.

Two other phone calls to police were reported from the residence hours earlier. Earlier Sunday, Finney reported his girlfriend, the victim, had thrown his clothes and his father's ashes in a Dumpster. Police were also called to the residence twice on Saturday for arguing between Finney and the girlfriend.

Finney appeared for a bail review before Harford County District Court Judge David Carey on Monday afternoon.

According to Public Defender Bruce Andres, who was representing Finney at the hearing, Finney completed 11th grade and was working seasonally at Kohl's distribution warehouse. Andres asked the judge to consider lowering his bail or releasing Finney on his own recognizance based on Finney's financial circumstance.

Harford County Assistant State's Attorney Daniel Salem said Finney has five failures to appear in court, 10 convictions, more than 20 arrests and poses a threat to the victim and the community at-large.

Initially, Finney was being held on $7,500 bail, but Carey raised it to $15,000 and ordered he not have contact with the victim, if he is released.

Finney had not posted bail as of Tuesday morning and was being held at the Harford County Detention Center.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad