A fire damaged a townhouse in Aberdeen Wednesday evening, displacing the residents.
The home, in the 700 block of Custis Street, was reported on fire about 5:20 p.m. with smoke showing from the basement, according to monitored Harford County emergency radio broadcasts.
About 30 firefighters responded from the Aberdeen Fire Department, Susquehanna Hose Company of Havre de Grace and Aberdeen Proving Ground Fire Department and brought the fire under control in about 10 minutes, according to a notice of investigation from the State Fire Marshal's Office.
Damage to the two-story home, which is in the middle of a townhouse group, is estimated at $10,000; loss of contents is estimated at $5,000.
According to the preliminary investigation, the fire started in the basement and was caused by an overheated or overloaded extension cord attached to the washing machine, the Fire Marshal's Office said.
Two children who were inside the home notified one of the adult residents that smoke was coming through air vents. Upon discovering the fire in the basement, the adult and the children escaped the home safely, the Fire Marshal's Office said. The home has working smoke detectors that activated.
The residents are being helped by Harford County Disaster Assistance.