HdG High senior charged with armed robbery

A Havre de Grace High School senior is the second person to be charged in an Aug. 28 armed robbery of BP gas station, in the 1000 block of Pulaski Highway in Havre de Grace.

Nigel Johnson, 18, of the 800 block of Garfield Court, was ordered held on $200,000 bail by Harford County District Court Judge Susan Hazlett on Monday after being charged with armed robbery, robbery, first- and second-degree assault, theft less than $1,000 and using a firearm in the commission of a felony.

Public defender Bruce Andres told Hazlett that Johnson is a senior at the high school, is single, has no children, has lived in Maryland for 10 years and wants to attend Harford Community College to study psychology. He also worked at Roy Rogers as a part-time cook.

His co-defendant, Tyren Thomas Alston, who just turned 19 and is also from the 800 block of Garfield Court, is still being held on $200,000 bond, after being arrested at the end of March.

Alston is not enrolled in a Harford County public school, schools spokeswoman Teri Kranefeld said Tuesday.

Johnson and Alston are accused of being the two masked men who entered the BP gas station at 10:50 p.m. on Aug. 28, according to charging documents.

One of the men allegedly pointed a gun at an employee and ordered him to open the cash register and took money from the drawer and his companion removed a cigar box containing "Spice" packets.

A Havre de Grace police dog search found a track to the area of Hall Court through a wooded area where pieces of clothing were found that matched the description of clothes worn by the robbers.

At 8:06 p.m. on Sept. 6, police were sent to investigate a report of two suspicious men behind the BP gas station. One of them was identified as Alston, who was taken into custody. Alston denied any involvement in the previous robbery.

Alston and Johnson were also co-defendants in a July 23 theft, according to Johnson's charging documents.

District Court Judge Mimi Cooper originally ordered Alston to be held on $200,000 bail and, if he left jail, not to return to the gas station or to have any contact with the station employee.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad