Aberdeen police officer shoots man at Route 40 motel

An Aberdeen police officer has been placed on administrative leave after he shot a man who allegedly displayed a gun Monday night near the Economy Inn on Route 40, a city police spokesman confirmed.

The man allegedly produced a gun after patrol officers responded to the 600 block of South Philadelphia Boulevard for a report of shots fired at about 11:34 p.m., according to an Aberdeen Police Department news release.

The officer fired two rounds, hitting the man once in the upper body, according to the release.

The man was taken to Harford Memorial Hospital in Havre de Grace and later transferred to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, where he was listed in stable condition, police said.

No one else was injured in the incident, and officers provided first aid to the man until paramedics arrived, police said.

Neither the officer nor the suspect had been identified as of Tuesday morning.

Police spokesman Lt. Fred Budnick said he did not expect to identify either the injured person or the police office until charges are filed.

A person who answered the phone at Economy Inn and who identified himself as a manager, but declined to give his name, said no one at the motel witnessed the shooting, but he believed the man was just passing through the area and did not have a connection to the Economy Inn.

Budnick said a construction worker on Route 40 reported the gun incident. Budnick also said police believe the suspect was renting a room at the motel.

The last police involved shooting and wounding in Harford County occurred on Oct. 8, 2012, when a 52-year-old White Hall man was shot outside his home after he allegedly pointed a shotgun at a Maryland State Police trooper.

John E. Murphy, 52, of the 4100 block of Norrisville Road, received a shotgun wound to the shoulder after police were called by an acquaintance who reported Murphy had been acting suicidal and wanted to be killed by police, according to a State Police account at the time of the incident.

Online court records indicate Murphy pleaded guilty to two counts of second-degree assault and received 10-year jail sentences with all but the 180 days he had served suspended. Charges of first-degree assault, reckless endangerment and two weapons charges were dropped by prosecutors, according to court records.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad