Dulaney High athletic field closed for utility work after underground wire electrified fence

Dulaney High School’s main athletic field will be closed for several weeks to allow an underground wire to be unearthed, after a staff member felt an electric current running through a nearby fence last week, officials said.

The damaged wiring that electrified the fence was fixed last weekend, after a staff member who touched it Sept. 15 it notified facilities staff at the high school in Timonium, Baltimore County public schools chief of staff Mychael Dickerson said.

The staff member felt a minor shock and was not injured, Dickerson said.

“Out of an abundance of caution and to be proactive, our facilities crews are checking the rest of that line to make sure there are no other damaged areas,” Dickerson said in an email.

Dulaney fall sports practices are being moved to alternate fields, and games are being held at opposing schools when possible, he said.

It’s unclear exactly how long the utility work will last, but it could take anywhere from a few weeks to more than a month, Dickerson said.

A 14-year-old Randallstown girl was electrocuted in Druid Hill Park in 2006 after touching an electrified fence. Deanna Green’s foot had been resting against a fence that was touching an underground cable when she reached for a second fence, completing a lethal electrical circuit.

Her parents won a $200,000 settlement with the city in 2013 and successfully fought for new laws in Maryland and Rhode Island that called for increased monitoring of stray electricity.

The Facebook group Friends of Dulaney High School shared post, including a video of the electricity crackling on the metal fence, on Sept. 15, applauding the school’s administration and athletics director for the way they handled the situation.

“Coaches were informed and our student-athletes’ safety was paramount at all times,” the post read.



Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad