Shooting spree suspect, convicted in Delaware, to stand trial in Maryland for Harford killings

Radee Prince, the man accused of going on a shooting spree that crossed from Maryland into Delaware, has been convicted by a Delaware jury — but it’s unclear when he will stand trial in Maryland.

Prince, 38, allegedly shot five former co-workers Oct. 18 at Advanced Granite Solutions in Edgewood, Harford County, as well as a sixth person at a used car lot in Wilmington, Del. On Tuesday after a weeklong trial, a Delaware jury convicted him of attempted manslaughter, reckless endangerment and other charges in the shooting of Wilmington businessman Jason Baul.

Prince was charged with attempted murder in Baul’s shooting, but the jury chose to convict him on the lesser charge of attempted manslaughter. A conviction on the attempted-murder charge could have carried a sentence of life in prison.

He admitted to the Delaware shooting while on the witness stand earlier this week and faces between eight and 89 years in prison.

As it stands, Prince would be driven to Maryland to stand trial after his sentencing in Delaware, Harford County State’s Attorney Joseph I. Cassilly said Tuesday. Attorneys in both states chose to try him in Delaware first because the state’s sentencing laws are stricter.

In Maryland, Prince faces charges including three counts of first-degree murder, two counts of attempted first-degree murder and related firearms charges.

Prince is scheduled to be sentenced in Delaware on Aug. 31, but Cassilly said he doesn’t want to wait until late summer to start trial proceedings in Maryland.

“It just seems that’s a long time to wait, I was kind of shocked that they had set sentencing all the way through the summer,” Cassilly said. “I just hate sitting here the whole time and not doing something to get something going.”

Cassilly said he plans to contact prosecutors in the Delaware case to explore options for bringing Prince to Maryland before his sentencing.

Maryland will have 180 days to finish its case with Prince, after which he will be driven back to serve out his sentence in Delaware, Cassilly said. If Prince is ever released in Delaware, he would then come to Maryland to serve his separate Maryland sentence, Cassilly said.

Prince’s Maryland trial has not yet been scheduled.

Baltimore Sun Media Group reporters Talia Richman and Erika Butler and the Associated Press contributed to this article.

smeehan@baltsun.com

twitter.com/sarahvmeehan

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
70°