Baltimore County man threatens prosecutors' families, to blow up police precincts

After a Middle River man's arrest in connection with the theft of nearly 40 firearms from an Essex gun dealer, Baltimore County police recorded him threatening to blow up police precincts.

Cory A. Bauer, 24, was recorded at the county detention center telling his brother that he would "blow up every [expletive] precinct in Baltimore," according to charging documents filed in District Court. He continued to make threats against prosecutors during the same phone call, saying, "I will [expletive] kill their families."

Bauer, of the 2100 block of Vailthorn Road, and two other defendants were indicted by a federal grand jury and charged in connection with the burglary of HNP Muzzleloading on Back River Neck Road in Essex in February.

Bauer's public defender, Susan Hensler, declined to comment Friday.

Bauer's case has been moved to federal court, which Baltimore County State's Attorney Scott D. Shellenberger said is common in cases in which the defendant attempts to distribute a large number of firearms.

"Although the guns were stolen from Baltimore County, they were found in Baltimore City," he said, "and the fact that there were 35 handguns stolen. "

As for the threats, he said, his office rarely is targeted.

According to charging documents, Baltimore City police were called Feb. 26 to Greater Grace Church in the 6000 block of Moravia Park Drive, where a special police officer noticed a suspicious vehicle in the parking lot. The officers searched the vehicle and found several firearms in the trunk and some marijuana. Four people were arrested, including Mary Bass, who told detectives that the guns had been taken from an Essex dealer the same week.

Horace Porter, the owner of HNP Muzzleloading, reported to police that his shop was broken into and that 35 handguns, one shotgun and one rifle had been stolen.

Bass told detectives that she had gone with her boyfriend, Jeremy E. Dunnigan, 22, of Marine Oaks Drive in Essex and Sander Foekens, 19, of Moravia Park Drive in Baltimore. She said Bauer and Foekens had broken into the store and put the guns into her car.

According to the documents, she said she was told to drive her vehicle to Essex, where the guns were left on a patio outside a home. She then was told to drive to Baltimore City, where the group was arrested.

Her boyfriend, Dunnigan, told police he got three guns from Bauer and that Foekens had a .45-caliber handgun, which Dunnigan believed was stolen from the Essex store.

Police continued to search for Bauer, and later staked out the home of his girlfriend, Lauren Timmons, in the 1400 block of Hadwick Drive.

While watching her home, detectives saw Timmons walk to garbage bins with a white plastic bag, which she dropped on the ground, the charging documents said. Inside the bag, police found a blue nylon backpack that contained a black Sentry safe with a loaded Walter P-22 .22-caliber pistol with a laser sight and partially obliterated serial number from Porter's store. Police also found prescriptions with Bauer's name inside the backpack.

Police later arrested Bauer and Foekens. All three men were indicted for theft of firearms and related charges. Bauer also faces arson charges.

Police have listened to Bauer's phone calls from the detention center, which informs callers that calls are recorded and subject to monitoring.

Bauer called his girlfriend, Timmons, who faces an arrest warrant as an accessory after the fact in connection with the burglary. Bauer later asked her to put his brother on the phone, who told him that Timmons planned to turn herself in. Bauer threatened to blow up the police precincts and, told by Joseph Bauer that Timmons planned to meet with prosecutors, threatened to kill the prosecutors' families, according to the charging documents.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad