Connecticut man killed in East Baltimore motel was kicked off train, documents say

Connecticut man, 48, killed in East Baltimore motel room had been kicked off train, new court records show,

New court documents show that a 48-year-old Connecticut man found killed inside an East Baltimore motel in January had met up with his alleged attackers after being kicked off an Amtrak train.

Police said the two people charged in the case, Christopher Wilkins, 32, and Angel Fury, 27, did not appear to know victim Edward Yesaitis Jr., but had been hanging around Penn Station on the day Yesaitis was escorted off a train headed for Charleston, S.C. for being "disorderly."

Yesaitis ended up in a room at the Deluxe Plaza Motel, in the 6400 block of Pulaski Highway, where police say the pair stomped him to death. Police said there was drug packaging, bottles of alcohol and cigarette butts strewn around the room, revealing "days of partying by the defendants and the victim."

"At some point during their stay in the motel room the defendants murdered the victim by stomping, jumping and kicking the victim to death," homicide Det. Gary Niedermeier wrote in charging documents.

Wilkins and Fury were arrested in North Carolina in early January, and records show they were recently extradited back to Baltimore. Police said they had fled on an Amtrak train headed to Jacksonville, Fla.

Police say Yesaitis did not know anyone in Baltimore, and after getting kicked off the train, made phone calls to his father and a childhood friend who lives in the area, trying to find a place to stay.

Detectives say Yesaitis used a phone connected to Wilkins and Fury when he later called back his father and old friend again. Additional investigation showed their fingerprints on various locations in the room, police said.

According to an online obituary, Yesaitis was a U.S. Navy veteran and served in the Gulf War. He was a machinist.

Wilkins, of the 5000 block of Hoffman St., and Fury, of the 5000 block of E. Biddle St., have preliminary court dates set for March 22. They face first-degree murder, conspiracy to commit murder, and assault charges and are being held without bond. Wilkins' mug shot showed scratches on his face.

An Amtrak spokeswoman declined to comment on why Yesaitis was removed from the train, saying it is company policy not to comment on passengers.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad