Baltimore police Sgt. Keith Mcneill was sitting in his Toyota Tundra, about to leave the garage where his vehicle had been repaired, when he noticed someone lurking around the East Baltimore business.

The off-duty officer called the shop's owner, who had left moments earlier. The man immediately doubled back and returned to Higgs Automotive just in time to hear the gunfire that would pierce the Tundra's doors and leave Mcneill struggling for life.

Court documents released Tuesday provided a clearer picture of the circumstances surrounding the shooting Friday — even as a motive remained elusive. Gregg Thomas, 34, was ordered held without bail after police found the gun he used, prosecutors said.

Police say in court records that the auto shop owner, who is not named, saw a blue Lincoln Town Car fleeing the scene near Belair Road and North Avenue.

The shop owner tried to block the car from escaping, police say. He did not succeed, but his account helped officers find and stop a vehicle answering the description moments later.

Thomas was not inside, but police say the stop helped point investigators to his family as they zeroed in on him as a suspect.

Thomas says he is innocent. Amid a citywide manhunt, he turned himself in Sunday evening to face charges of attempted murder.

Mcneill, a 19-year veteran assigned to the Eastern District, is the first city officer shot in more than three years. Colleagues have stood vigil since Friday in the intensive-care unit at Maryland Shock Trauma, where he remains in critical condition.

"It's really difficult for all of us to see him in the condition that he was in," said Sgt. Monique Brown, a friend of Mcneill's since 10th grade. She described the 41-year-old veteran as a caring friend full of helpful advice.

Brown, who works in a child abuse unit, said she spoke with Mcneill earlier Friday. He told her he was headed to check on his truck. He often used the vehicle to haul around the two racing bikes he rode in competitions at tracks in West Virginia and elsewhere.

Brown, 39, met Mcneill as he courted her best friend, Danielle, now his wife. As decades passed, the three became inseparable.

Sitting on her couch Friday night, watching television and scanning Twitter, Brown saw reports that an officer had been shot. Word around the department had it that Mcneill was the victim. She called and texted him, but got no answer.

Finally, Brown said, she reached Danielle, asking: "Where's my brother?"

She said she didn't know, and Brown set off for the Mcneills' house to brace Danielle for the news.

"Thick, thin, we've been through it together," Brown said. "He and I and his wife and us."

Across the city, police began a major operation to find the suspect. They served six search warrants for Thomas, whom they named the department's "Public Enemy No. 1."

Police say the first break came minutes after the shooting, when officers stopped the Town Car at Pulaski Highway near Erdman Avenue.

The driver told officers that Thomas had given him the car, a prosecutor said in court Tuesday. Police traced the Lincoln to its registered owner, Thomas' sister Shalena Gadson. Armed with that information, authorities obtained a search warrant for Gadson's home in the O'Donnell Heights neighborhood of Southeast Baltimore.

Police say officers recovered evidence of the shooting at the home, but did not describe what they found. They said in court documents that they also found large quantities of marijuana and just over $1,000.

That second discovery led to Gadson and Thomas' mother, Sharon Walker, being charged with drug offenses Saturday. The charging documents filed against them provided the most detailed account of the shooting that authorities have released; police have not said what led them to Thomas.