Michael Maurice Johnson

A booking photo shows Michael Johnson's mugshot. (Baltimore Sun / April 26, 2012)

A retrial of the man accused of killing Phylicia Barnes has been put off until October, as defense attorneys and prosecutors asked Tuesday for more time to prepare in the case of the teen who went missing while visiting family in Baltimore.

A jury convicted Michael Maurice Johnson of second-degree murder in March, but a judge reversed the verdict because he said prosecutors failed to provide defense attorneys with information about a key witness.

Barnes, a 16-year-old from North Carolina, disappeared during a visit in late 2010. Her body was found months later in the Susquehanna River.

In requesting a postponement, prosecutors said they wanted time to review new information that has surfaced in the meantime. They did not go into detail about what that information was.

A month ago, Detective Daniel T. Nicholson IV, a veteran of the homicide unit who led the investigation into Barnes' death, was charged with committing assault and burglary during a frantic search last year for his own daughter. He has denied wrongdoing.