Funeral planned for victim in cannibalism case

The funeral for the man who was killed in Harford County, and had his organs eaten, has been scheduled for July 7 in Ghana, according to his sister's Facebook page. Still, little is known about the victim,Kujoe Bonsafo Agyei-Kodie.

I have been trying to reach the sister, Gloria Boahemaa Asante, for several weeks. She accepted a friend request on Facebook but has only corresponded briefly, and has not responded for an interview. An Associated Press reporter reached her a few weeks ago, but beyond brief comments, Asante has said little.

Her Facebook page also contains few details, though a photo of her brother, and listing with funeral arrangements over two days titled "Call to Glory," was posted on Tuesday. It lists Agyei-Kodie's age as 42; records here show him as 37.

Last week, The Sun's Justin Fenton reported that the 21-year-old man charged in the death, Alexander Kinyua, was formally indicted on charges of first-degree murder and assault and was sent to a state mental hospital for evaluation.

Kinyua, a Morgan State University student with a long history of behavioral issues ranging from bizarre to violent, is charged with cutting up the victim, a roommate in his father's house, and eating his heart and part of his brain. Prosecutors said he used a one-sided ax with a wooden handle. The attack occurred in May.

Read more stories about the troubled history of the suspect and repeated signals of bizarre behavior at Morgan State, including the alleged beating of a friend with a baseball bat days before the slaying.

Attempts to learn more about the victim have proved difficult. An uncle in Pennsylvania has not been reached, and other relatives in Ghana have not responded to interview requests. His sister told the Associated Press that Agyei-Kodie was preparing to come home and dreamed of someday becoming president of Ghana.

But federal authorities say they were trying deport Agyei-Kodie after his conviction for stalking and assaulting another student at Morgan State. Court documents show that he contested the charges and says it was connected to a complicated dispute with his girlfriend.

The victim had been working on his doctorate up until the time of his legal troubles and has several degrees from universities in the U.S., including Temple, and in Ghana. After his conviction in Maryland, and 18-month prison term, he fought efforts by immigration officials to deport him, and filed an appeal to be released from detention.

He represented himself and wrote a long, articulate brief in which he said he arrived in the U.S., in New York, in 1997 on a student visa. How or why he was released pending deportation, held up by lack of paperwork from Ghana, immigration authorities say, is not clear.





Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad