By Blair Ames, Bames@tribune.com
10:25 AM EST, January 24, 2014
An accidental fire that started in a void space above Jin's Asian Bistro in the Oklahoma Center shopping center became a two-alarm blaze that damaged several units of the Eldersburg strip mall late Thursday night, the Office of the Maryland State Fire Marshal said Friday.
The fire, which began at an electrical outlet above Jin's, caused about $250,000 in damages, including $200,000 to the building itself, according to a notice of investigation from the State Fire Marshal's Office.
The fire broke out around 10:24 p.m. in the strip mall near the intersection of Liberty and Oklahoma roads, according to a spokeswoman for the Sykesville Fire Department.
Crews from Carroll, Howard and Baltimore counties responded. It took 50 firefighters a little over an hour and a half to control the fire, according to the State Fire Marshal's Office.
Flames spread across the ceiling of one unit in the shopping center but went no further, a fire marshal spokesman said, causing minor smoke damage to three adjoining units. No injuries were reported in the incident.
Sun reporters Jonathan Pitts and Sean Welsh contributed to this report.
Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun