No one injured in Westminster house fire

Firefighters were called to the 200 block of Stacey Lee Drive in Westminster at around 9:45 a.m. Monday after an occupant of the home discovered a fire in the basement. No injuries were reported.

The fire was under control within 30 minutes, but crews remained on the scene for more than two hours, said Kevin Dayhoff, public information officer and chaplain of the Westminster Volunteer Fire Department. Approximately 30 firefighters from Westminster, Pleasant Valley, Reese and New Windsor responded.

The initial report from the Office of the Maryland State Fire Marshal indicated that the fire originated in the basement laundry room of the residence and seems to have been caused by the clothes dryer. The report classified the incident as accidental.

The flames caused approximately $20,000 in damage to the one-story, single-family residence. The American Red Cross is assisting the family.

Dayhoff and the fire marshal remind residents to periodically clean their clothes dryer and check whether it is working properly as a safety precaution.

Dayhoff said there was a working smoke alarm in the residence at the time of the fire.

“That really saves lives,” he said. “We want folks to be safe around the holidays and make sure their smoke alarms are working properly.”

crighter@baltsun.com

410-857-3315

twitter.com/Cat_Righter

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
70°