HAGERSTOWN — Fire officials say one of two soda-bottle bombs placed in a hotel parking lot exploded, but did not cause any injuries or damage.
It happened about 1:45 a.m. Monday at Spring Hill Suites hotel on Valley Mall Road near Hagerstown. The State Fire Marshal's Office says two devices were placed in the parking lot, but only one exploded.
Officials tell The Herald-Mail of Hagerstown that bottles contained a volatile mixture of tin foil and toilet-bowl cleaner and were extremely dangerous. The mixture causes the inside of the bottle to over-pressurize and explode. It includes hydrochloric acid and can cause blindness, skin burns and respiratory problems.
Detonating soda bottle bombs carries a punishment of up to 25 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. — The Associated Press