In 26 years as a Marine, Sgt. Maj. Brian Taylor has lost several comrades. But he never forgot that "puny little squiggly kid" from West Baltimore who "just had all of this motivation and no direction."

Taylor had been a mentor to Sgt. Maurice Bease in the late 1990s, when they served together at a Marine Corps air station in San Diego. When he heard later that Bease died in the attack on the Pentagon on Sept. 11, 2001, he was devastated.

"He had so much left in him," Taylor, 47, who now works at a Marine recruiting station in Elkridge, remembers thinking at the time.

Taylor's sorrow turned to joy this month at a Marine installation in Beaufort, S.C., where he'd taken a group of Baltimore educators to introduce them to life in the Corps. Taylor was working his way down a line of Marines, thanking each for participating in the event, when Bease stepped forward.

This is a story about a brotherhood, about a young man from West Baltimore who sought lessons from leaders and became one himself, about a case of confusion that kept two Marines apart for a decade, about a friendship resumed.

"It was pretty emotional for the both of us," Bease, 34 and now a gunnery sergeant, says of the unexpected reunion three weeks ago. "It was really a special moment."

Growing up on Lafayette Avenue in West Baltimore, Bease says, he "really didn't see that bright of a future" — so he tried to make one for himself. He played lacrosse and ran track at Edmondson High School, and participated in the school's Junior ROTC program, rising to cadet colonel — the top student position — in his senior year.

On graduating, Bease joined the Marines. He was assigned to Fighter Attack Squadron 225 at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego in 1999 when he became aware of then-Gunnery Sgt. Brian Taylor.

"He came into a large section and he had a lot of Marines under his charge and they were all kind of running wild," Bease says. "Getting in trouble, drinking and driving, doing all these crazy, stupid things.

"Just his presence seemed to transform all of the Marines in his section," Bease recalls. "We started noticing that all of the DUIs stopped, all of the craziness was gone. His Marines became the go-to guys in the unit."

Although Bease was assigned to an administrative job, he began hanging around with Taylor's team, which was responsible for repairing and inspecting the squadron's F/A-18D jet fighters.

Taylor's mechanics would joke that Bease was a paper-pusher; Bease told them they were "dirt divers." When one of them told Bease that he couldn't do their jobs, he asked Taylor if he could join them, after he finished his own work, and help work on the aircraft.

"It was like a Wall Street guy that wanted to get his hands dirty, that wanted to work from the bottom up," Taylor says.

Without realizing it, Bease says, he was looking for leadership.

"Really all I wanted was somebody to kind of look up to, to help me grow through my experiences."

Says Taylor, "He needed direction, so I just sort of kind of took him under my wing."

The relationship lasted until the end of 2000, when Bease left for the Pentagon. Taylor was soon deployed to Japan, and the two men lost touch.

Taylor was at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni in Japan in early 2002 when he received word from a fellow Marine that Bease had died when terrorists slammed American Airlines Flight 77 into the western side of the Pentagon.

Taylor was shaken.

"He was young, he had a lot of friends, he was a pretty popular kid," he recalls thinking. "And I just felt like it was just such a devastating way to snuff out a life."