A six-year-old Suitland girl died Saturday after becoming entangled in the cords of a window blind in her home, according to the Prince George's County Fire Department.
A relative found the girl unconscious and wrapped in the cords around 12:30 p.m. in a home in the 6700 block of Larkspur Road in Suitland, fire officials said.
The relative and rescuers attempted to resuscitate the girl but were unable to revive her, fire officials said.
She was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at a nearby hospital.
Prince George's officials urged parents to keep window cords out of reach of children, particularly those under 5, who are most susceptible to being strangled by cords.
Cribs, child beds, seats and toys should be kept far from blind cords.
More information about protecting children from cords can be found at windowcoverings.org.
twitter.com/juliemoreCopyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun