A small fire broke out in the top floor of a five-story parking garage in Baltimore's Mount Vernon neighborhood this afternoon, according to city fire officials.
City firefighters responded to the 100 block of East Read Street where they discovered heavy, dark smoke pouring from the roof. As of 1:45 p.m., firefighters had the fire under control. While there was heavy smoke in the area, no major damage was reported. No one was injured in the fire, fire officials said.
Parts of North Calvert and St. Paul streets, near Read Street, were closed while firefighters were on the scene.
The parking garage is operated by Central Parking Systems and charges users a $116 monthly fee for automobile parking. Battalion Chief Thomas Tosh said the fire was contained to a storage area on the fifth floor.
The property is owned by Calvert-Read Garage LLC, in the care of Michael Dellis.
Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun