The school zone at Loch Raven Academy near Towson is one of five areas where Baltimore County Police will place a new speed camera in the coming weeks — bringing the overall speed camera tally to 22 throughout the county.
County Police Chief James Johnson announced the new locations Friday. Police officials said the installation is scheduled to start in the next few days, and the five new cameras would be in addition to the 17 now operating.
The new locations are:
• Loch Raven Academy — Goucher Boulevard between Putty Hill Avenue and LaSalle Road.
• Winands Elementary — Scotts Level Road between Winands Road and Autrim Lane, Pikesville.
• Seven Oaks Elementary — Seven Courts Drive between Joppa Road and Proctor Lane, Perry Hall.
• Bais Yaakov — Smith Avenue (southbound).
• St. Ursula's — Harford Road between Putty Hill Avenue and I-695, Parkville.
Police said that for 30 days after each camera is activated, motorists exceeding the speed limit by 12 miles per hour or more will receive warnings rather than citations.
After 30 days, citations will be issued. Tickets issued through the camera enforcement are $40.
School zone speed cameras are in use Monday through Friday, between the hours of 6 a.m. and 8 p.m. — even through summer months. Police noted that school sites are used for summer school, recreation and parks activities, summer athletics and other activities.
Speed cameras are currently installed at the following schools:
• Middle River Middle School, 800 block of Middle River Road (both directions).
• Eastern Technical High School, 1100 block of Mace Avenue (both directions).
• Catonsville High School, 400 block of South Rolling Road (both directions).
• Arbutus Middle School, 1200 block of Sulphur Spring Road (eastbound).
• Woodlawn High School, 1700 block of Woodlawn Drive (southbound).
• Woodlawn Middle School/Woodmoor Elementary School, 3000 block of Essex Road (northbound).
• Milford Mill Academy, 3800 block of Washington Avenue (southbound).
• Wellwood International School, 2900 block of Smith Avenue (eastbound).
• Old Court Middle School, 4600 block of Old Court Road (eastbound).
• Rodgers Forge/Dumbarton Middle School, 200 block of Stevenson Lane (eastbound).
• Halstead Academy, 7500 block of Hillsway Road (southbound).
• Padonia Elementary School, 9800 block of Greenside Drive (northbound).
• Dulaney High School, 200 block of Padonia Road (southbound).
• Parkville High School, 2700 block of Putty Hill Avenue (eastbound).
• Dundalk Middle School/Dundalk Elementary School, 7000 block of Dunmanway (westbound).
• Perry Hall High School, 4600 block of Ebenezer Road (both directions).
• Johnnycake Elementary School, 5900 block of Craigmont Road (both directions).