I hope you all had safe and happy holidays, and that 2018 will bring health, love and great things for our entire community. As part of our family’s Christmas celebrations, we enjoyed driving around and seeing the festive light displays and decorated houses. Many neighborhoods hold official holiday display competitions, and I am happy to recognize some of the Towson area winners here.
To begin, here are the winners of the first “Light up the Hills” decorating contest in Southland Hills:
- Theme - Ye Old Fashioned White Christmas: First place (tie): 406 Carolina Road (Rudolph) and 208 Old Bosley Road (Chesla). Honorable mentions went to: 401 Alabama Road; 231 Old Bosley; 207 Old Bosley; 307 Colonial Court; 319 Alabama Road; 308 Dixie Drive; 322 Dixie Drive; and 401 Chesapeake.
- Theme - Full of Air: First place: 30 Southland Court (Lohse). Honorable mention: 510 W. Chesapeake (Simanowith)
- Theme - B-More Christmas, HON!: First place: 309 Dixie Drive (Williams)
- Theme – Best Newcomer: First place (tie): 317 Dixie Drive (Salice) and 12 Dixie Drive (Kotras). Honorable mention for wine and cookies went to 406 Dixie Drive (Reilly).
- Theme – Legend of Clark Griswold: First place: 405 Alabama Road (Corona). Honorable Mention: 20 Dixie Drive (Berger)
- Theme – Bob the Builder (build-your-own decorations): First place: 408 Alabama Road (Mealey)
- And “The Griswold Cup” goes to all the neighbors on Southland Court.
Right next door, in West Towson, Association Second Vice President SueAnn Griffin shared the winners of the neighborhood’s Christmas Lights competition:
- Most Festive winner was 628 Debaugh (Entwistle)
- Most Zany (and risky) winner was 554 Piccadilly (Osborn)
- Best Traditional Display winner was 532 Park (Exelby)
Anneslie also held an Annual Holiday House Decorating Contest as well; Scott McGovern reported the favorites of 2017:
- Most Creative/Best Theme winner was 533 Regester Avenue (Sweeney)
- Most Traditional winner was 605 Dunkirk Road (Smith)
- Most Commercial/Illuminated winner was 624 Anneslie Road (Knipscher)
- First Annual “People’s Choice” Award winner was 522 Murdock Road (Erler)
Finally, the historic Stoneleigh neighborhood judged and announced the winners of its Holiday Decorating Design competition Dec. 27. Cara Walen shared a list of the winning households:
- Overall Design: First place winner was 811 Tred Avon Road (Roberts); second place was 811 Chumleigh Road (Mathias); third place went to 600 Stoneleigh Road (Seymour).
- Doorway Design: First place went to 7101 York Road (Rodman); second place was awarded to 821 Wellington Road (Weatherington); and third place was 908 Old Oak Road (Forte).
- Exterior Illumination: The winner was 807 Ridgeleigh Road (Robinson); second place was 808 Ridgeleigh Road (Beck); third place went to 6900 Avondale Road (Loeffler).
Congratulations to all the winners, and a big “thank you” to everyone who put work into decorating the homes in our community with holiday flair for all to enjoy. Oh, what fun it was to see!