Become a digitalPLUS subscriber. 99¢ for 4 weeks.
NewsMarylandBaltimore CountyDundalk

10 hospitalized after separate carbon monoxide leaks in Baltimore County

Ten people were taken to hospitals after carbon monoxide leaks in two Dundalk homes Thursday morning, Baltimore County fire officials said.

Both carbon monoxide incidents are believed to be caused by malfunctioning furnaces, and neither home had carbon monoxide detectors, said Lt. Paul Massarelli, a county fire spokesman.

Fire department officials were first called to the 1600 block of Manor Road for a report of an unconscious seizure patient, but found others complaining of carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms, Massarelli said. Six people were hospitalized in total from that home, though an update on their conditions was unavailable.

Carbon monoxide was measured in the house at 600 parts per million, and safe levels are considered to be under 30 ppm, Massarelli said. The houses on either side of the affected home had high levels of carbon monoxide inside and were evacuated, he said, though no one in those homes was sickened.

In a separate case later, four people were hospitalized after a carbon monoxide leak in the 7900 block of St. Monica Drive in the North Point area, Massarelli said. The carbon monoxide levels there were found to be 120 ppm. Massarelli had no update on their conditions but said it didn't appear their lives were in danger.

The fire department encouraged residents to install carbon monoxide detectors for the colorless, odorless gas as they would smoke detectors. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, and confusion, and high levels can cause unconsciousness and death.

cwells@baltsun.com

twitter.com/cwellssun

Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun
Related Content
Comments
Loading