Jacob Lutz, a senior in Catonsville High School's Information Technology/IT Programming curriculum, was named the Southwest Area winner of a $1,000 scholarship during the 39th annual Career and Technology Education Student Recognition Reception April 24 at Loch Raven High School.
The award was one of four Anthony G. Marchione Scholarships (named in honor of a former BCPS superintendent) presented to area winners.
Jasmine Wise, a business management and finance student at Milford Mill Academy, received a total of $3,000 in scholarships (a $1,000 northwest area scholarship and a $2,000 overall scholarship) as the overall winner.
Lutz was among 133 seniors in the county's Career and Technology Education program recognized at the event.
The students were chosen for demonstrating excellence in their programs, which include business education, school to career transition, family and consumer sciences, Junior ROTC, technology education and technical programs.
Jasmine Wise, named the overall winner, for her academic and technical achievement. intends to major in finance in college and pursue a career as a financial manager.
Jacob Badin of the Western School of Technology and Environmental Sciences offered reflections on his experiences as a CTE student during the evening.
Among the students recognized during the dinner were:
Catonsville High School
• Gerrin Coombs — Advanced Technology Education
• Kaila Grimes — Arts, Media, and Communication/Interactive Media Production
• Orestes Peña Casas — Business Management and Finance
• Ashley Dymicki — Human Resource Services/ Child Care Services
• Amber Depew — School to Career Transition/Career Research and Development
Lansdowne High School
• Melissa Miller — Business Management and Finance
• Lisa Cave — Consumer Services, Hospitality, and Tourism /Nutrition & Food Services Associate
• Shannon Parks — Human Resource Services/Child Care Services
• Breanna Hicks — JROTC-Army
• Destani Jackson — School to Career Transition/Career Research and Development
• Sophia Gach-Rasool — Arts, Media, and Communication/Graphic Communications
• Jacob Badin — Consumer Services, Hospitality, and Tourism/Culinary Arts
• Nicholas Meyer — Construction and Development/Plumbing
• Christina Spliedt — Environmental, Agricultural, and Natural Resources Systems/ Environmental Technology
• Tony Lin — Information Technology /IT Programming
• Ozeair Moazzam — Information Technology/Cisco Networking
Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun