Man found dead in Catonsville men's shelter after carbon monoxide leak; cause of death unclear

A Catonsville homeless shelter had to be evacuated Sunday for a carbon monoxide leak and a man was found dead inside, according to Baltimore County officials — though the cause of death is unclear.

The man was found dead in his dorm, though a county news release cautioned that it’s not clear he died as a result of the gas. The release did not specify a cause of death, and it said no gas was detected in his dorm.

About 70 men were being housed in the shelter, in the 300 block of Redwood Circle. It opened in 2015 on the Spring Grove Hospital campus.

Firefighters were working to locate the source of the carbon monoxide, emergency medical services Capt. Tim Rostkowski said.

One man staying at the shelter was taken to an area hospital as a precaution, the release said. That person’s condition was unclear Sunday afternoon.

Symptoms of exposure to carbon monoxide can include headaches, dizziness, and nausea or vomiting. Excessive exposure can be fatal.

sdance@baltsun.com

twitter.com/ssdance

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
81°