Man charged with assaulting officer remains in critical condition

A 19-year-old man charged with assaulting a Baltimore County police officer remains in critical condition after the officer struck him in the head with a flashlight when the man fought with officers as they tried to arrest him early Tuesday, the department said.

Officers from the Towson Precinct were attempting to serve an arrest warrant on the man in the 500 block of Castle Drive when he hid and fought with police. A statement from police said one of the officers hit the man in the head. He was taken to Greater Baltimore Medical Center for a laceration on his head, where his condition worsened.

Police have not named the man because he has not had a bail hearing. He is being charged with second-degree assault on the officer.

The incident comes at the heals of an ongoing police investigation into the death 17-year-old Christopher Brown of Randallstown, who died after a physical confrontation with off-duty Baltimore County police officer James D. Laboard. Laboard, an officer with the Woodlawn Precinct, has not been charged.

In the latest case, officers were called to the Castle Drive apartment at 10:45 p.m. Sunday. A woman reported that she had let the father of her child in to visit and that he punched her with a closed fist, police said. She had previously obtained a domestic violence protection order to keep him from away from her, police said.

Officers attempted to place the man under arrest, but he broke away and fled, police said. A warrant was obtained, charging him with violation of a protective order, second-degree assault and resisting arrest.

Police returned to the same address at 12:25 a.m. Tuesday to serve the warrant, but the woman told officers the man was not there. Police, however, spotted him through a window and went inside to arrest him. The man was hiding inside "a very narrow closet," and would not come out when officers told him he was under arrest, police said.

He began reaching for something on the floor, police said, and pushed an officer in the chest, knocking him backward.

As the two struggled, the officer "attempted to strike the suspect on the arm, but the suspect moved and was struck in the head," police said.

Officers continued to struggle to move him from the closet but were able to place under arrest when and noticed a laceration on his head. The man was conscious, but he complained that his head hurt and he was taken to the hospital, police said.

Copyright © 2017, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad