Eastern Tech field hockey tops Lansdowne in playoff quarterfinal

As pep talks go, this one might not rate as a classic, but it was effective. With her field hockey team in a scoreless tie through one half of Thursday's Class 2A North Region quarterfinal against host Lansdowne, Eastern Tech coach Diana Hegmann challenged her players to pick up their intensity.

"I said to them, 'This is not the team I saw play last week,' " Hegmann said. "We had four straight games and we won three."

Third-seeded Eastern Tech showed brought out the intensity in the second half by scoring three goals in a four-minute span to overwhelm the second-seeded Vikings, 4-0.

The Mavericks will play Hereford in a semifinal Monday at 5:30 p.m.

"I know we are going to have a strong game when we play on Monday," Hegmann said. "We lost to Hereford 2-0 two weeks ago, but I will consider it a win. They scored both of their goals in the first half and none in the second half."

Eastern Tech put a lot of pressure in the second half on Lansdowne's defense of Kayla Airey, Audrey Melcher and Ashley Hawrysch and freshman goalie Hannah Kromeke, who was filling in for senior Sierra Luers (concussion).

Freshman Lexie Lieberman got the Mavericks (5-8) rolling 4:06 into the period when she scored off a crossing pass from Lauren Bradford.

Twenty-six seconds later, Victoria Ziolkowski redirected a pass from Allison Meyers past Kromeke (5 saves).

The lead grew to 3-0 on Madison Jackson's goal with 22:35 remaining.

Florence Tijones finished the scoring about four minutes later.

"I knew they were going to be a little quicker than what we were used to," said Lansdowne coach Lindsay Potter, whose team was outshot, 12-2. "We didn't have a lot of subs, so we ended up playing a little slower than I would have liked."

Things didn't get any easier for Lansdowne (3-6) after Eastern Tech's flurry of goals.

The Vikings had to play a man down for the last 15 minutes because sophomore attacker Shyanne Meyett got yellow cards for a high stick and pushing a Maverick player.

Lansdowne's Leah Hagan and Brianna Meyett also had to leave the game down the stretch because of injuries.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad