One man dies after Baltimore County house fire early Monday

A man died, and one of his children and a firefighter sustained burn injuries in a house fire in Lansdowne early Monday, according to the Baltimore County Fire Department.

Ryan Robert Cavin, 39, his wife, their two children and three other people were sleeping in the home in the 100 block of Hazel Avenue at about 4:30 a.m., when the blaze broke out in the kitchen, officials said.

Cavin’s wife woke everyone up, the Fire Department said. The couple had been asleep on the second floor along with two of the children; the three other people had been sleeping on the ground floor. All escaped except Cavin, who was brought out of the home by firefighters from the top of the staircase on the second floor.

He was taken to St. Agnes Hospital in critical condition and later died, said county fire department spokeswoman Elise Armacost. No phone number was listed for the Cavins.

One of the children sustained a first-degree burn and a firefighter had a second-degree burn, according to Fire Department Division Chief Tom Ramey. The family is being assisted by the American Red Cross, he said.

Units from Halethorpe, Lansdowne, Arbutus and English Consul fire departments were among those responding to the scene, officials said. The fire was brought under control in about 30 minutes.

An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated the number of Mr. Cavin’s children. The Baltimore Sun regrets the error.
Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
72°