"It was a great thing for the city," Prutzer said. "My thought was it would always continue to get better from year to year."
The cancellation saddened those who experienced the event from inside the barriers — the drivers.
"It's disappointing to me, because it's a place where I've had so much success and a race that has been a real turning point in our season the last few years," said Simon Pagenaud, winner of the 2013 IndyCar race. "It's a shame. It's a great city that I enjoy coming to."
Marc Bunting, a Monkton resident who drove in the American Le Mans Series races in each of the event's three years, said he wasn't surprised, but was still disappointed. He acknowledged the divided opinions over the race.
"I believe it definitely made a significant economic impact," Bunting said. "But at the same time, it was a big inconvenience to the folks who live and work downtown. It was a double-edged sword that way."
Some expressed hope that they would speed down the streets of Baltimore again.
"I'd hate to think this means you couldn't bring it back," said Mike Levitas, owner of TPC racing in Jessup, who drove his Porsche racer in the IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge at this year's Grand Prix. "I think it's a real blow to Maryland, because all I've heard from people is that they absolutely loved it."
IndyCar officials lamented the loss of the event.
"After a successful visit to Baltimore, which included record attendance, we are disappointed that our schedules will not align to host an event in 2014," said Mark Miles, CEO of IndyCar parent Hulman & Co., in a statement. "We are thankful to the city of Baltimore, Race On and Andretti Sports Marketing for their support and enthusiasm for the event over the years."
Orioles and Ravens officials declined to comment.
The decision to cancel the Grand Prix comes after a turbulent history. When city officials signed off in 2010 on the event, a year of traffic-snarling road work to ready streets for the race cars followed. Controversy erupted over the removal of trees along the race course in 2011. The race's original organizer, Baltimore Racing Development, lost its contract with the city at the end of 2011 for failure to pay $1.5 million owed to the city, among $12 million in debts it held.
Grant's Race On group revived the event from uncertainty in 2012, pulling together the second edition in a matter of months but failing to secure a title sponsor and losing money. On Friday, Grant acknowledged that the event remained unprofitable in 2013 but said it was on track to make money within the next few years.
Race On had been in "pretty advanced discussions" with several companies in the consumer products, racing and finance industries considering title sponsorship for the 2014 event, Grant said.
Those talks will now be abandoned, but not for lack of effort, he said: "You just don't give up on an event like this."
Baltimore Grand Prix 2013 news from The Baltimore Sun