By Kevin Rector, The Baltimore Sun
6:24 PM EDT, September 27, 2013
Lady Baltimore's moving plans have changed.
Once she comes down from her 190-year perch atop the Battle Monument overlooking Courthouse Square — the scaffolding is up and the project is underway — she will take up a new, indoor residence at the Maryland Historical Society Museum and Library in Mount Vernon, society officials said.
An earlier plan to relocate the marble statue, which honors the Battle of North Point and the bombardment of Fort McHenry in 1814, had called for it to be relocated to the Walters Art Museum, but Lady Baltimore was too heavy for the museum's floors.
A replica of the statue, made from casted molds, will be placed atop the Battle Monument once Lady Baltimore is removed.
The decision to relocate the original statue indoors followed years of contemplation by the city's Commission for Historical and Architectural Preservation.
Standing 52 feet above the street, both of the statue's arms had been broken off over the years — one by a wind gust in 1938 — and wind, rain, hail and other elements have largely eroded the statue's eyes, nose and ears.
City officials approved a $148,500 contract to conduct the move last year.
Thirty-nine Baltimoreans died in the battles the Lady Baltimore commemorates, which occurred between Sept. 12 and 15, 1814, and planning for a monument in their honor began not long after.
Lady Baltimore was first placed on the monument on Sept. 12, 1822, according to a plaque adorning the monument since 1915.
Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun