Try digitalPLUS for 10 days for only $0.99

Baltimore City

News Maryland Baltimore City

Baltimore man dies from burns after clothing catches fire from stove

An elderly man died this week after suffering severe burns while using a stove, the first fire death in Baltimore this year, city fire department officials said.

The man, identified as Dennis Fisher, 74, was making a cup of tea on the stove at a home in the 2700 block of Huntingdon Avenue in the Remington neighborhood on Sunday morning, according to fire department spokesman Ian Brennan. His flannel shirt caught fire from the stove and he was taken to the burn unit at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center with first- and second-degree burns on his hand, arm, shoulder and neck, Brennan said.

Fisher was pronounced dead on Tuesday shortly after 2 a.m. Brennan said the fire was out when first responders arrived.

The death is Baltimore's first fire fatality of the year. Fire deaths spiked last year to 21 from an all-time low of 12 in 2012.

cwells@baltsun.com

twitter.com/cwellssun

Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun
Related Content
Comments
Loading

77°