Students discover bottle with suspicious solution at school

The Baltimore City Fire Department is investigating an incident involving "a bottle bomb" found at a city school Tuesday, fire officials said.

Several students at Baltimore Freedom Academy discovered the quart-sized, glass bottle in a storage area of the school on East Lombard Street. They opened the bottle and were so overwhelmed with fumes that they dropped it, fire officials said. The contents of the container splattered and two students complained of eye irritations.

Firefighters arrived at the school about 11:30 a.m. Paramedics treated the two students at the scene. Both were taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital as a precaution, officials said. No other students or faculty were affected.

A school spokeswoman said the bottle contained formaldehyde.

The charter school, which includes 600 students in grades six through 12, was evacuated for about 40 minutes. Classes resumed about 12:30 p.m.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad