Several students at Baltimore Freedom Academy discovered the quart-sized, glass bottle in a storage area of the school on East Lombard Street. They opened the bottle and were so overwhelmed with fumes that they dropped it, fire officials said. The contents of the container splattered and two students complained of eye irritations.
A school spokeswoman said the bottle contained formaldehyde.
The charter school, which includes 600 students in grades six through 12, was evacuated for about 40 minutes. Classes resumed about 12:30 p.m.