City Fire Department is investigating an incident involving "a bottle bomb" found at a city school Tuesday, fire officials said.
Several students at Baltimore Freedom Academy discovered the quart-sized, glass bottle in a storage area of the school on East Lombard Street. They opened the bottle and were so overwhelmed with fumes that they dropped it, fire officials said. The contents of the container splattered and two students complained of eye irritations.
Firefighters arrived at the school about 11:30 a.m. Paramedics treated the two students at the scene. Both were taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital
as a precaution, officials said. No other students or faculty were affected.
A school spokeswoman said the bottle contained formaldehyde.
The charter school, which includes 600 students in grades six through 12, was evacuated for about 40 minutes. Classes resumed about 12:30 p.m.
Text NEWS to 70701 to get Baltimore Sun local news text alerts
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more
about the new features.
The Baltimore Sun encourages civil dialogue related to our stories; you must register and log-in to our site in order to participate. We reserve the right to remove any user and to delete comments that violate our Terms of Service
. By commenting, you agree to these terms. Please flag inappropriate comments.