Location: Homewood Campus, Johns Hopkins University, 3400 N. Charles St. History: According to jhu.edu, Homewood House was constructed between 1801 and 1803 by Charles Carroll, Jr. In 1800 Carroll's father presented him with a 130-acre tract, referred to as Homewood Farm, as a wedding present. The house stood vacant from 1853 to 1897, when it was rented by what would become Gilman School. The house and lands were given to Hopkins in 1902.
Jed Kirschbaum, Baltimore Sun